title

Friday, March 13, 2009

Lesson Learned


I love having epiphanies as a parent. Learning as I go is definitely what I am doing as a parent.

Today I had a conversation with a friend who had been complemented on the behavior of her child. She thanked the other lady and said it isn't always that way but said that she knows her daughter is a "cool chick". And she is. Her daughter is so well behaved. I am amazed at what she can do with her daughter. As we were talking about it I said that as a parent we are definitely more apt to focus on the negative. And I think that is the case because we are trying to correct that negative behavior...especially in public. We are always on the look out.

The other day I was at the park with Reese during nap time and she was just being a stinker. She was whiny and ready to go to sleep. I wrapped up my walk soon after that and vowed to be more conscious of nap times. The next day some friends were going to the park around the same time and I said I better not since Reese didn't do well during that time the day before. My friend mentioned that she didn't notice any negative behavior by Reese the day before but I sure remembered it.

My goal and lesson learned from these two scenarios is to view my child the way other people do...as the sweet, loving, passionate, caring, playful child that she is. We will continue to correct the negative behaviors in public but will try to remember that it is not as bad as we think it is!! I know I am so blessed with a wonderful child and I hope that I will focus more on the wonderful qualities that she has.

No comments: