title

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Snow Exciting

We were so excited Tuesday morning when it started snowing. I had to run to Costco with the boys (Sam was home sick from school) and while we were there the flurries started. On my way home I heard that Reese’s school would be getting out two hours early. When Reese got off the bus at 12:20 the snow was coming down at a nice pace but wasn’t covering much. She was super excited to see the snow and she said they only did snow stuff at school. Once inside I put both boys down for a nap and got a call from my friend, Amy, who was stranded in the front of my neighborhood and was headed to my house in a neighbors truck. She was headed to pick her son up from preschool (the same school Sam goes to). She was able to have someone else pick him up from school and it took that lady four hours to go the five miles there and back! At 1:00 Lance called and said he was headed home. He asked what the roads looked like and I sent him this picture and told him Amy’s story.

1-29-14 009

At 1:20, only twenty minutes after talking to Lance the first time, I sent him this picture. That is how much snow came down in just that short amount of time.

1-29-14 010

Since Sam was so sick I wouldn’t let him go outside but Reese couldn’t wait to check it all out. She played for a while by herself. She made a snow angel, spun in circles, tasted some snow, attempted the sled on the driveway, and got really cold.

1-29-14 001

1-29-14 002

At one point I had put the boys to bed and Reese was having some girl time with me and Amy, Reese looked at me with tears in her eyes and said, “We shouldn’t have done all of that stuff at school.” When I asked her what she meant she said they did stuff that was going to make it snow but it just made the roads bad so Daddy couldn’t get home. It was heartbreaking and I assured her that only God could make it snow like that and she couldn’t do anything to change it. I think it made her feel better.

1-29-14 003

Long, long, long story short, Lance didn’t make it home that night and Amy and her baby spent the night with us. After Lance had been in the car for about nine hours, a friend from our old church called him to see where he was because her husband had gotten stuck and had a hotel room. He was at West Paces Ferry and there was no way he was going to make it as far as her husband had. She told him to hold on and she might be able to get him connected with some one she knew. Thankfully he had gotten off the interstate at West Paces Ferry as she called because she had a friend who lived a mile from there. Lance and his carpool buddy were able to park his car and walk a mile to the house. They stayed the night on the floor of the living room on some outdoor furniture cushions because there was a house full of people staying there. I was so happy to have him out of the car and somewhere safe and warm.

This morning Lance decided to attempt the trek home. After talking to a neighbor who had gotten stuck in the same area as Lance he figured they could make it. And they did!! It took them a little over two hours but it was so exciting to see him walk up in the backyard. He had to park his car at the ballpark and walk through the woods because there were no cars that could make it in to the entrance of our neighborhood.

Amy was also able to get home this morning.  A neighbor from her neighborhood offered to come and get her. Unfortunately even in a four wheel drive truck he still couldn’t make it up the first hill in the neighborhood. Thankfully there were some people driving around on their ATV and he asked for their help. They drove to our house and picked her up to take her back to the truck. It was an adventure for sure!!

1-29-14 007

As Lance was walking up this afternoon, the big kids and I were headed outside to play. Sam only lasted about three minutes because he felt so bad. Reese got in a few trips down the hill on the sled before deciding to go back in too. Oh well!

It definitely hasn’t been the type of snow days we were hoping for but I just kept telling myself it could be so much worse. There were thousands of kids who were stuck at schools because their parents were stuck on the road. I know I would have been a wreck if that was my case so I was so thankful to have all of my kids at home with me.

No comments: