title

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Outdoor Dining

For the last couple of months we have been looking at patio furniture. We really wanted to be able to sit outside and enjoy dinner on the back patio. At our old house we didn’t really have a great place to have an outdoor table so I have never really looked in to it before. I was shocked at how much some of the sets cost. We were both a little hesitant to pull the trigger on that for now.

photo 1

A few weeks ago we were at the house of some friends from church. The husband is pretty handy and had built them their own outdoor table. We were so impressed with it. For years, Lance has said he wanted to learn how to woodwork. So, he and another guy (who is super handy too) from our life group got together, shopped for some reclaimed wood, and went to work.

The legs before sanding…

photo 2

The legs after sanding…

photo 3

I asked Lance to take pictures throughout the process and I am so glad he did. It it cool to see how it all came together.

photo 5

It took them a full working day to make the table which now makes me understand why tables like this cost so much money. I am sure once you know what you are doing the process moves quicker though.

photo 6

Lance was so grateful for help on his first attempt at woodworking…and of course the use of tools.

photo 7

I can’t remember the exact cost of the wood but I would venture to say that once all costs have been spent we will only have paid a quarter of the cost of a purchased table.

photo 9

I am so happy with the way it turned out. We still have a bit of work to do on it…sanding, staining, finishing…and of course, buying some chairs. We think we will be able to fit eight people around this table…possibly ten on a tight squeeze. I can’t wait to use it!!

photo 10

I will update once everything is complete.

No comments: